CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Can You Afford Not To Forgive? – Part 2



In continuing with the series I started last Thursday, it’s important to realize unforgiveness is a subtle poison that can kill the spirit of the person who is contaminated. When you hold onto something for so long, you oftentimes fail to acknowledge the impact it has over your life. That is why it takes a spiritually mature person to recognize when unforgiveness has a stronghold over their life. Otherwise, it may require an experience/encounter with God or a spiritual accountability partner to help shed light to our situations.

Remember this…forgiveness is God’s way to healing and freedom in our lives. We have to be open to forgive because God forgave us. Recognize the wonderful way God has exercised this in our lives. He forgave us for our sins past, present and future. He forgave us for all transgressions and iniquities. He forgave us before we were ever created. He forgave us for the same hurts that we refuse to release from other people. He forgave us knowing that we would not acknowledge Him in our workplace. He forgave us knowing that we would simulate Christian-like behavior only on Sunday mornings during church service. He forgave us freely and undeserving and as a result, we are to forgive those who have hurt us.

I know you are thinking to yourself, “How can I break free from the bondage of unforgiveness?” Glad you asked…

1. Let God forgive you. (1 John 1:9)
a. Confess your own bitterness; your selfish actions, hateful speech, carnal living (Proverbs 28:13)
b. Agree with God that your feelings of bitterness, wrath, malice, etc. have no place in your life as a Christian.
c. Thank God for the blood of Christ that cleanses you from your sin. (Ephesians 1:6-7, Ephesians 2:13)
2. Forgive your offenders. (Matthew 6:14-15)
a. As an act of your will in faith before God, release them from any obligation to make things right.
b. Extend to them the same grace God has given you.
3. Ask God to take possession of the place in your heart that Satan claimed as his own.

If the Lord has brought someone to mind whom you need to forgive, purpose to do it now. It may be a family member or a person from your past. There may be something in your own past for which you have never forgiven yourself. Perhaps you are saying, “But it happened such a long time ago and it no longer matters.”

If you can remember it, and you know that you have never scripturally forgiven that person, then you need to do it now. Otherwise, Satan will continue to hold that place in your heart.


A Prayer of Forgiveness

Father, thank you for the blood of Christ that cleanses me from sin. I confess that I have sought to get revenge rather than forgive my offenders.

(Confess what you have done right here)

God I forgive (name) for (be specific). In the name of Jesus Christ, and by His blood, I take back the place which Satan possessed in my heart and give it back to you. In Jesus’ name…Amen!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kenny,

I thank God for using you to feed into my life spiritually. I can relate so well to the current post on unforgiveness. I've been held captive by an unforgiving heart towards a few people in my life, but most recently an ex co-worker/friend and it has caused some emotional pain. Tonight I have released the spirit of unforgiveness. Through the power of God and the message you posted I am no longer a victim, but now a VICTOR in CHRIST JESUS! Continue allowing God to do his marvelous works through you and you WILL be blessed.

Sincerely,

SDK

Tiff said...

For a while I had a big problem with forgiveness.
I didn't believe in apologies, and in my mind giving forgiveness was opening a door to allow that person to hurt me all over again.

I'm over that now, of course... I'm still not a fan of apologies. My philosophy is don't apologize, repent!
I'm working on changing this frame of mind.
-- Still a work in progress...

Anonymous said...

KP, thank you for the 2nd part of "Can You Afford Not To Forgive." In my past, I have been hurt by family members, friends and co-workers, and I have forgiven each of them. I can relate to SDK's comment. Two ex-coworkers/friends hurt me deeply about a year ago. I felt as if my heart had been ripped out of my body. It has taken me this long to heal, but I know that their is a Balm in Gilead. I'm taking a class that is helping me heal from all past hurts. I agree with you SDK-I have been released from being the victim. I know that VICTORY TODAY IS MINE!! Be encouraged SDK!! Keep your eyes focused on Jesus. I've been calling on Jehovah Rapha, who is helping restore and heal me from my past wounds. I encourage you and all the readers to say the prayer that KP has at the bottom of this topic. I have said the prayer, and asked for forgiveness. I have asked God to give me a clean heart, so I can continue to follow him. (I'm still under construction):)

Thank you KP for being a gift to the Body of Christ. You have been a BLESSING to me. You have helped lead and guide me to a closer walk with God. Keep up the good work!
SWOGOD ;D

Kenny Pugh (aka KP) said...

I'm glad the blessing of forgiveness has been initiated and healing can take place. We all suffer from this poisonous spirit at some point in time or another, but God's grace is the antidote.

Anonymous said...

This is a rhetorical question for me. But for those who struggle with the answer, remember that tomorrow is not promised.