CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Relationships Are About Giving

Reflecting over the many relationships that have encountered turbulence during their tenure, it has been made clear to me through counseling others, many relationships fail because they lack a foundation based on giving. Please understand the TRUE foundation of successful relationships is based on Christ, but there are also other layers that play a part in successful relationships because of a Christ-centered focus. It is human nature to become selfish in our perspective on what we desire out of our relationships. However, by having a relationship with Christ it should be our understanding that we must first be a giver in all of our relationships. If you evaluate John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” When we look at the nature of our relationship with Christ, it was established because God gave Him to us as a gift. The gift was not provided to us because we did everything right. The gift was not provided to us because we were worthy of it. The gift was not provided to us because we deserved it. The gift was not provided to us because we would always agree with the direction He (God) would take us. The gift was provided to us because of God’s relationship and love towards us. I know you are thinking to yourself what does this mean to me? Well I’m glad you asked. Let me pause parenthetically to allow you to assess within yourself whether you have been a giver or taker in your relationships?

Let’s start with your family relationships…
1.) Do you GIVE love, respect and encouragement to those you are related to?
2.) When was the last time you offered advice to a relative who was struggling with something you have experience in? Have you helped a cousin apply and transition to college even though no one else in their household did?

Let’s look at your workplace relationships…
1.) Do you GIVE/contribute to the overall positive atmosphere in your workplace? Or do you sow seeds of discord and gossip in the office?
2.) If you disagree with how things are being done, do you offer-up solutions to the problem? Workplaces are full of unhappy people who can tell you everything that is wrong, but never offer-up ways to improve things.

Let’s look at your male/female relationships…
1.) Do you GIVE love, peace, patience goodness, etc. to your mate? Or are you always focused on what they haven’t GIVEN to you?
2.) Do you GIVE encouragement in areas where your partner is lacking? Or do you simply harbor the negatives they bring to the table in your relationship?
3.) Do you GIVE your partner an opportunity to change their behavior? Or do you bash them for not changing according to your personal timeline?

Let’s look at your relationship with Christ…
1.) Do you GIVE your time, talents and treasures? Christ gave of Himself and many of us repay Him by participating in adulteress relationships. We worship our jobs, we worship our material belongings and we worship our boyfriends/girlfriends. God wants a full-time relationship with us, but we choose to relegate Him visitation rights on Sundays, Wednesdays or Thursday (if we are able to make it) or when we are in trouble and need His assistance.
2.) Do you communicate with Him daily through prayer and/or His Word? This is an act of GIVING Him attention.
3.) Do you have talents/gifts (e.g. hospitality, singing, teaching) that you GIVE back to the kingdom?
4.) Do you GIVE your treasure for the furtherance of kingdom work? Or do you spend it all up selfishly at Lenox, Phipps Plaza or any other mall you see fit :).

Could God be holding back Mr. or Mrs. Right in your life because you have not fully grasped the idea of what it means to give in a relationship beginning with Him? Giving is NOT an option in a relationship, but a requirement. Hmmmm…just a little something to think about!

11 comments:

BB said...

Good afternoon, this is my first time leaving a comment so here we go. I am convicted from the posting because I can honestly say that I have not given of myself to all the different levels in my life. I will say that I now know better thus I must do better.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...yes this is something to think about! Like many other areas in my life, this is a constant work in progress. Often times in relationships, there is a giver and a taker. I think that life is more fulfilling if you can give more than you take. Thanks KP.

Anonymous said...

These are excellent points to use to pattern your life. I have been working on increasing my gift in all areas, since I been out of college I have notice, my drive for giving of my time had decrease. I have in this past year mapped out a plan of action and I have been much better.

GB

Kenny Pugh (aka KP) said...

BB...you can make it because you have been convicted and have time to correct your actions. Be encouraged that the story is NOT over for you :)!

Kenny Pugh (aka KP) said...

Thanks for your comments KLW and GB!

Anonymous said...

KP, I love this topic!! GIVING!
It brings me so much "JOY" when I can give my time,love, and a word of encouragement to others. I love the story of the woman (Mary of Bethany) who came to Jesus with an alabaster box of very expensive perfume. She anointed Jesus with her love. She "GAVE" her Lord the most valuable thing that she possessed. In all relationships you have to have a loving heart and a willing spirit to give...give...give. I try to go above and beyond the call of duty-even if I'm not receiving anything back in return. I'm still under construction! :) Men and women will not be able to "GIVE" to one another; until we are willing to pour from our own "alabaster box" onto the master's feet.

When you give your best to Jesus, he will accept your offering of extravagant love with joy. ;) SWOGOD

Anonymous said...

This is a topic that needed be a Series! Oh - how i love the Lord and as he gives me perfect peace. That he would teach me to give as i grow in him.

~ Selah

BB said...

Thanks KP for the words of encouragement. I know that I have a long way to go in my walk and relationship with my dad but, I now feel like all that I am doing is not in vain.

BB said...

Thanks KP for the words of encouragement. I know that I have a long way to go in my walk and relationship with my dad but, I now feel like all that I am doing is not in vain.

Anonymous said...

Well said KP. Definitely has me thinking about my relationships with others and what can do to improve them. Good lookin out!

Kenny Pugh (aka KP) said...

SWOGOD, thanks for real-life biblical example.

ladyexhorts, thanks for the confirmation. I was actually debating on whether I could use this as a series for a future conference. I will definitely solicit some additional illumination, but your words have confirmed my initial thoughts.

BB, It ain't over yet...keep on keepin' on!

Sean B., I am glad the information has provoked some internal reflection for you bruh.