CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Are You Prepared To Receive

Please subscribe to the Chat Kafe e-mail group by signing-up at the bottom of the page. (Your e-mail address will not be sold or shared with others)

Workplace topic of the week…

Many people today ponder the question, “When will I meet the person I will spend the rest of my life with?” The better question for people really to consider is, “Am I really prepared to receive the person I will spend the rest of my life with?”

There are a few areas of your life that should be ongoing works in process in preparation for your life mate.

1. Spiritual – Do you read God’s Word and fellowship with Him regularly? Why would God send you a mate when you haven’t established a regular relationship with Him? Are you asking God to send you a mate when you can’t even commit to Him? (James 1:7-9, Psalm 107:1-2)

2. Physical – Do you take care of yourself? Do you get enough sleep to remain healthy? Do you eat healthy and regularly? Do you exercise regularly to stay in shape? When is the last time you have had a medical checkup and dental exam? (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)

3. Professional – Do you have a plan to continue growing professionally? Or are you comfortable with simply having a job? (2 Timothy 2:15)

4. Financial – Do you know what your credit score is? Do you operate from a financial budget? How deep is your debt and would someone feel comfortable connecting to you and your current debt situation? (Proverbs 3:9-10, Matthew 6:33)

5. Social – Are you a homebody and not open to social things? Do you fellowship with friends? Do you participate in church, professional and/or friend gatherings? (Deuteronomy 6:4-6, Acts 2:46-47, Proverbs 27:17)

6. Mental – Do you read regularly or is your growth based on television? Do you have any hobbies or outlets for your stress? (1 Timothy 4:13-16, Colossians 3:23)

Summary: Be sure to make specific areas of weakness and need known to God. Allow Him to continue working and maturing you in those areas while preparing you to become the best you can be for your mate. Two broken vessels coming together does not equal a whole relationship. However, two whole vessels coming together will result in one strong relationship. Life is too short for you to become complacent in your thinking and being. Continue moving forward in life because there is so much God wants you to experience. Do not allow life to be taken for granted!

14 comments:

Tazzee said...

That's a good list and I'd have to admit I have all of them down. However if you were to expound on the mental part, I might not pass - being mentally prepared for a relationship. God is working on me regarding a key fruit of the spirit: patience (longsuffering). When I join my life with another 'till death do us part' - I know that I need to exercise more patience.

That is the weakness that God and I are working on.

Kenny Pugh (aka KP) said...

Thanks for your comment. From a mental perspective, you have to be ready to release the daily build-up and frustration that accumulate over time. The one aspect of most failed relationships is the inability to resolve conflict. Most of the frustration in relationships is mental. The ability to persevere through mental challenges is an area we ALL need to improve in. Many of us have gotten used to walking away from challenging circumstances because we haven't enhanced our mental capacity to endure them. Everyone needs mental enhancement to help overcome the challenges of our daily lives.

Anonymous said...

duly noted. i have recently benched myself (takin' myself out of the game). thanks for the list!

Anonymous said...

KP, Thank you for this list and the scriptures that go along with it. I want to experience everything that God has for me.

Thank you again for all of your help on these relationship topics.
SWOGOD

Kenny Pugh (aka KP) said...

Beautiful, it's okay to take oneself out of the game in order to train and prepare for the future. In sports, most athletes participate in what is known as the offseason. The offseason allows an athlete to rest, focus mentally on future goals, and/or go through a fitness program to be even better in the next season. We too must go through offseasons in our lives in order to prepare for the upcoming season God may have for our lives. The truth is most people don't take time off to get themselves truly prepared. I admire and support your decision! Make sure you take full advantage of your time away.

Lena said...

I also appreciated the list and it's good for me to know that God really does not desire for me to fail. God won't let me enter into a lifelong commitment until it can be successful and it can't be successful unless this list is complete for both parties. Thank you for the scriptural reference as well. I will be sharing this!

Kenny Pugh (aka KP) said...

Thanks for your comments! I pray you continue to review the areas of life continually as you prepare for what God has for you.

RunDKJ said...

That was just what I needed today. I was just about in the dumps as to why I haven't found "the one". But after reading the list, I do realize that I need some more work!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi KP! I do appreciate your referencing each component with a scripture. In my opinion, I don't know that every component must be just right in order to be ready for a relationship. I consider myself a work in progress. Forever in progress. My mental state, professional state, financial state, physical state, and/or spiritual may vary depending on the circumstances of my life. While I do strive to be stable and consistent in each component, I do not believe that I or anyone will be great in all of these areas all of the time. I think it is possible to embark in and/or sustain a healthy relationship if one or more of these components are not exactly to where I want them to be. I believe the key is to find a person who can provide that support and guidance during the growth process in these areas. I hope to be that support for someone also.

Kenny Pugh (aka KP) said...

Anonymous, it isn't essential that each component I outlined be perfect in order to pursue a relationship. I simply provided areas that a person can work on during their season of singleness. No one will ever master all of the areas, but this should provide a list of areas for continuous improvement opportunity in a person's life. Whatever you are weak in, it's an awesome thing to have a companion who is strong and can assist you. However, until then...don't become too complacent.

Anonymous said...

kp, you posted "don't become too complacent". please explain what you mean. i'm trying very hard to embrace my singlehood. it's difficult for me, because i long for a life partner. this list, in the last two days, has become my guide to a better relationship. am i correct in thinking what you mean is to work at it everyday and enjoy the journey?

Kenny Pugh (aka KP) said...

Yes...I simply mean to keep moving forward, smiling everyday, not focusing on your circumstances and continuing to improve yourself during each day's journey. Every day focused on what you don't have is slap in the face of God for the many things you DO have.

Unknown said...

I must admit I had to read this article a few times and the comments before I completely understood. It truly made me consider the question Am I ready? After much prayer and guidance, I can answer this question yes. I may not be proficient in all these areas but I am a work in progress open for growth, change and constructive instruction/ direction. Soooo thank you for the insightful article because it led me to God's word for direction on how to apply this to my life.

Kenny Pugh (aka KP) said...

Happy happy joy joy thanks for your insight!