CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I'm Done with Love! by Anonymous


How can anyone get to that point?

Good question. Well, since I don’t know the thought pattern of men, I won’t comment on them. However, I will talk about how I have gotten to that point. Reaching the point of being absolutely done with the idea of love…through with it once and for all.

It occurs to me that many men (and even some women) have no understanding of how a woman can reach the conclusion that love is not a part of her life. It’s easy….all it takes is enough rejection and enough disappointment. There’s a scripture in the word of God that says “Hope deferred makes the heart sick.” When your hope has been deferred (for an extended period of time I might add) it’s easy to give up on hope all together.

After years of wanting love and never getting it, years of wanting to understand men and never getting a chance to (so to speak), and years of feeling like for the simple fact that you don’t look like, act like, or think like most women (from a societal view); that you are not allowed to be a candidate to receive love, not even by the standards of the body of Christ. Considering all of this it’s easy to give up hope.

Bishop T.D. Jakes did a lesson years ago on “Breaking the Spirit of Failure.” One of the things he mentioned was that after a while, failure can be a relief. After a while of hoping for something, it almost becomes easier to just accept that it will never happen than to allow yourself the luxury of hoping for it to happen and then being hurt yet again.

When I was 27 years old, I became friends with a man that I that began truly caring about. After two years he didn’t make the move to begin dating me like I thought he would and I was done. Done all together! I mean, as far as I was concerned that part of my life was dead, not to be resurrected or revived ever again. I looked at it from a very logical standpoint. Men had never seemed like they were genuinely interested in me, and I never bought into the cat and mouse roles that society says that men and women should play. I never wanted to join cat and mouse approach (it just kinda seems like a lot of faking; not to mention I resent the fact that I have to be “unavailable” or “coy” in order to peek a man’s interest). What does that mean? My real personality isn’t intriguing or interesting enough so I have to pretend? How incredibly degrading! Truthfully, it took a lot for me to like someone at all so I’d prefer not to add layers of games.

A man could be attractive, but I was never affected in the least until he began looking at me. As I got older, I began wanting to know that he not only had integrity, but that I could actually be my unconditional self with him. Ironically, as I got older, I found my ability to be transparent less and less possible with men. It went from 50% chance as a teenager to about 25% in my early twenties. By the time I was 23 or 24 it was 15% and then by the time I was 26, when I had the encounter with this man, it was .000000005%....or at least that’s how it felt.

All my life I had heard that I wasn’t “good enough” for any man to want me; either because I was too fat, too skinny, my hair was too nappy, or too thick, or I was too shy, or too outgoing, or too outspoken or not outspoken enough. By the time I was in my late twenties, I was extremely angry about all the mistreatment that I endured as a child being picked on by my peers and even my family, so at that time I gained the label “too angry.” I was always “too” something; and I was tired of it.

So I made a decision, a tearful one; to accept the idea that I would be alone the rest of my life. I believed love would never be a part of my life…..PERIOD. It’s not that I didn’t want love because I did. It was just I never believed that I would ever experience it. The reward seemed way too low for me to invest any of my energy into it. Interestingly enough, I got to the point where I couldn’t even hurt anymore….I was numb. I would never talk about it because I didn’t want anyone to try to “talk me out of it” or tell me that I just had a severe case of not knowing my own worth. As far as I was concerned, it didn’t matter how much I thought I was worth, it was impossible for any man to find anything in me valuable enough to want to marry. It’s not like I didn’t have value but believe men weren’t able to recognize or value it. I thought men only valued a woman who was skinny with long hair. Even if she wasn’t skinny with long hair, she was at the very least extremely willing to play the cat and mouse game. The game that lets the man hunt her like an animal so that she can be placed upon his mantle piece like a trophy and not a human being.

Since it made no sense to me to even consider, I would look away when men noticed me and I still do, it’s instinctive now, I don’t even think about it. If a man that I’m attracted to begins to behave like he likes me, I automatically become defensive and think he must be trying to play a joke on me. The thought of this makes me mad and offended since I refuse to be made a fool out of. When a man who I’m not attracted to approaches me or notices me, my thought is usually “it figures.”

Truthfully speaking, if you haven’t already figured out, this is still something that I struggle with. Usually, people don’t understand. They just say things like “you don’t love yourself” or “you don’t know your own worth and value.” I always want to say, “What does that have to with anything?” Just because I think I’m beautiful, smart, thoughtful and have a lot to offer doesn’t automatically mean that everyone will agree with me; especially, men who seem to have been brain-washed by our culture. People say “so what if a man can’t see your value, you don’t need a man!” Then my reply is “you’re right, so why even be open to the possibility?” It seems like a lose-lose battle. So why would I bother? Or for that matter, why even be friends with a man if there’s even a hint that maybe I could possibly develop feelings for him in the future? Why would I set myself up to be hurt that way?

Another thing I’ve realized is that a guy doesn’t have to be a jerk in order to hurt me, all I have to do is care enough about him and that’s all the required ammunition. Couple this with the sense that I should have known better than to think any man on this earth would ever want to be with me since they just don’t feel that I’m good enough; it’s just way too much stress to bear.

Ironically, in the midst of all this, God keeps saying I’m supposed to be married, and as much as I’ve begged him to remove the desire all together, but He simply will not. I still don’t fully understand, if He knew I was supposed to be married all this time, why would He allow me to be rejected so many times? Why would He allow me to grow up as part of a culture that says if a woman isn’t perfect, then she is not worth the trouble (I’ve heard that, not just in mainstream, even in the church.). Not to mention, I’ve watched my mother get called everything but a child of God by the man who supposedly loved her and the one she loved. Not to mention seeing so many other women love men hard and be taken advantage of. Why didn’t God prevent those things? I guess I’ll never know.

I do know this one thing…I’m tired of being tormented by fear!

Anonymous

Brought to you by Chat Kafe, http://chatkafe.blogspot.com








Google Groups

Subscribe to Chat Kafe

Email:

Visit this group

6 comments:

Cynthia Kay said...

Hey Anonymous,

Done with Love? I sincerely pray that you aren't. I want to say a few things to you...to encourage your soul. First, I don't want you to be tormented by fear either (False Evidence Appearing Real). I believe we've all felt it; I certainly was a victim to it at one point in my life. Living in fear is living in defeat. It's a sickness that greatly pleases Satan--because he KNOWS that God has not given us the spirit of fear...and he loves when WE forget.
I do understand that "experiencing" negative things and "hearing" negative words can have an impact on us psychologically. Been there...
However, don't beat yourself up about it; just divert your energy back to the Lord and surround yourself with positive individuals who will give you honest, biblical sound advice.

Remember this...some of our trials are to help us grow closer to the Lord (through prayer and studying this word daily). Since God is love, I know in your heart that you can’t and shouldn’t be “done” with it. The love granted to a man and woman THROUGH God's handiwork is the most precious, purest that is formed. Sounds like you just need to wait on the Lord and be of good courage! In the interim, draw yourself to a closer relationship with Christ. I, without a doubt, can tell you that is how YOU will learn to love…through the Lord. I pray this strengthens your heart…

Keonda (513) said...

Anonymous,

Ms. Cynthia is right, don’t give up on love. I know EXACTLY how you feel though. I have been hurt before in the past because I loved someone and put my trust in man instead of God. But thank God that all things work together for good to them that love the Lord. That means that not only do the good things work for your good, but the bad things too!

I was listening to the radio yesterday, and they were talking about this lady’s new album that was coming out that was called, “The Faith to Wait”. I almost lost it when I heard that! I said to myself, God That’s it! I need to have the Faith to Wait! Circumstances have the tendency to weigh us down. They have the tendency to make us feel like God doesn’t know our desires. They have the tendency to make us feel like we will never be loved and appreciated for our value. But I refuse to have a defeated mentality when it comes to love! We need to understand that everything in our lives happens for a reason. You know that through the worse times in our lives (notice I said THROUGH), we have learned the most. I never knew how faithful God was until I had to deal with some unfaithful folk! I never knew how he was my shelter from rain until the rain started to pour like cats and dogs! I never knew how he was my friend until I had some friends leave my side! I never knew how he was a mind regulator until my mind was completely jacked up and he came and gave me Peace!

So my sister.. Be encouraged. Have the faith to wait. Trust God. It’s not always easy, but He knows the thoughts he has towards you..and they are thoughts of good and not of evil.

Stay Blessed!

Anonymous said...

She has some serious issues! Why did you post this Kenny?.....this girl will make you jump off the ledge! What a downer!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I can definitely identify with your being done with love. I too have been there when nothing that I am was ever good enough. I've been maligned by family, friends (so-called) and society. Most days I feel like you do but then I have to remember that my Father is perfect in ALL His ways! He didn't create something unlovable because He created me in His image. Do I understand all that I go through? No. Do I wish that things were different? Yes. Do I question if He has someone for me? Absolutely. I believe that I will be a wife. I've asked God to remove the desire if it's not for me for many years and He hasn't. But I have to remember at all times that His ways are not our ways and time has a completely different meaning to Him. When I have to cry myself to sleep then that's what I do and the next day I thank Him that it didn't kill me and I ask Him to help me to learn the lessons that He's trying to teach and show me how to be more like Him everyday. That's what get's me through. Don't be done with love. Your blessing may very well be right around the next corner.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm glad kenny did post this. I have heard women say I don't think I will ever get married but I haven't heard I'm done with love. I'm glad that God has the last word and God is love and God is in you. Stay encouraged. As a black man I hate to here one of our queens say they're done with love. Just be done with looking at man and keep looking at God.

Anonymous said...

To the [one] person who asked why this was posted--take a look at all of the comments of those who can relate... the author is NOT alone in her feelings.

Truthfully, I can relate with a lot of what she said. I'll be 27 next week and I feel completely invisible to Christian men (I specify "Christian" because I'm not trying to mess with unbelievers). It sucks to be lonely and I guess this is her defense mechanism.

I haven't gotten to that point [yet] ONLY because, like one of the other sisters mentioned, I'm building the faith to wait. My last relationship ended almost 8 years ago, so I know what it means to WAIT on God. But the faith part is still being built because I am trusting that God is using this time to prepare me to be a wife worthy of the man of valor that is destined to by my husband. Love is important--but so are spiritual strength, financial responsibility, [future] parenting skills, and all sorts of other qualities that are needed to make a marriage work.

So while I am STILL waiting and believing for God to bless me with my husband, I am STILL asking God to mold me into the kind of wife who will be a blessing TO my husband. This ensures that we are BOTH worth each other's wait.

To the author of the post: if you want to quit looking for love from men, so be it. But NEVER quit believing that God has your best interest at heart. Ask Him to heal your past hurts and make you whole in His unconditional love. Once that happens, God will reveal His intended for you.

That's my prayer for you and for me. Be blessed, sister!