CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 22, 2009

Keeping Your Brand Real


It’s amazing to me how the practice of branding has gained such incredible prominence for businesses, organizations, and individuals. Branding has such a buzz that it seems like it has created its own industry. The heightened attention given to this business practice has even created specialized branding job descriptions, such as strategist, coach, consultant, promoter, and developer.

With all the hype that branding is getting many people miss the fact that branding is often just another word for image management. Our society is obsessed with image. We fall in love with things that look good even when they aren’t substantial. Even the people that are the most popular, who are supposedly “keeping it real”, often are well-manicured facades.

What happens though when an organization or individual spends more time and resources enhancing their brand image versus developing the character or integrity of their brand?

Whether people want to admit it or not, a brand that masks character or integrity issues is similar to a building with a faulty foundation. It could come crashing down at any time!

Over the past few years we have seen too many businesses and individuals whose brand communicated one thing, but their behavior displayed something totally different. That’s the quickest way to lose fans, followers, supporters, or customers. People who placed their trust either in you personally or your brand feel violated. And it’s even harder to rebuild trust after messing up than it is to build it initially.

I started wearing glasses when I was in the 6th or 7th grade. Some people started calling me “four eyes”. From a personal branding standpoint, that’s not a good thing for a middle schooler.

Although it wasn’t great then, fortunately I now see the value and benefit of having “Four I’s” - for my eyesight and my brand. Here are four steps to help you develop a solid foundation that will support and enhance your brand:

1. Identify your character flaws.
2. Investigate the reasons for your character flaws.
3. Invest time and resources into your character development.
4. Invite relationships that will refine you.

The fact is that it’s actually easier to maintain a brand when it’s a legitimate representation of the person or organization.

So don’t allow the brand that you are projecting to be a lie or collapse waiting to happen. Be genuine. Be authentic. Be proactive in developing the integrity behind your brand. That’s the best way to “keep it real!”

Dream B.I.G.,
Paul Wilson, Jr.

Brought to you by Chat Kafe, http://chatkafe.blogspot.com








Google Groups

Subscribe to Chat Kafe

Email:

Visit this group

3 comments:

Cynt said...

What great motivation...as always, I enjoy reading your work, Mr. Wilson. It will either, inspire, convict or place one in denial :).
I've had the privilege of being exposed to many businesses, organizations and individuals who were considered highly successful, average or just getting started. Yes, I even know of those who represent a successful brand, but behind the closed doors or out in the open, you see a totally different picture. I remember when I was in business for myself, always wanting my clients to witness the time and effort I put into educating myself on a theoretical level so that I could offer the highest level of service in conjunction to the practical application they so desired over the "book" knowledge. I wanted to stand out in an industry that I knew, for a fact, was full of deception and fabrication; so I chose to be different and still receive accolade for that to this day! But what about the personal "me" I thought after reading this passage. What do folks see in my "brand" outside of the business arena; those who do not know me on a personal level? Makes one wonder...
As you stated, the bottom line is trust (can be extremely hard to reestablish without willing participants). I have certainly been disappointed and am certain that I have disappointed others as well (loss supports, fans, etc.) In this regard, I thought would a person who has a respected, established brand be willing to help me if I misrepresented MYSELF? For some reason, I kept thinking of the last blog...God of Another Opportunity (finding solace when its not possible through man). The reality is we WILL have deal breakers on earth...a hard lesson to learn regarding severed ties. However, there are situations where perception and accusation lead to condemnation—a “ brand” that never got a fair chance due to being "slaughtered" through the unfortunate line of hearsay, but that is another story altogether.
I always appreciate the self-examining challenges! Look in that mirror…and be honest with what you reflect and work on those 4 I’s if needed!! Awesome!!

Anonymous said...

Cynt,
Thank you for your gracious comments. Branding is often attributed to organizations, but individuals need to be just as concerned with the perception that people have of them. I am also challenged every time I write to make sure I'm doing my best to represent what I write.

I agree that sometimes we do run into situations where we will make a mistake and our brand can get tarnished. However, I believe if we're doing the right things before that mistake, people are usually forgiving (after a while) and will allow you back into their good graces if you admit the mistake and work to earn their trust again. At least we don't have to work our way back to God. His grace is sufficient for us. I'm thankful He's a God of many chances!

Cynt said...

You are welcome Paul, I could not agree with you more! Yes, God is such a great God that his grace literally takes my breath away. Grace, mercy AND a God of Another Opportunity...wow.

I have no doubt that you and Kenny will continue to feed the masses with the nourishment that fuels the mind as well as the soul!!!