CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

God of ‘Another Opportunity’!


As I sit here in front of my computer reading up on the release of Michael Vick to complete the remainder of his 23-month sentence, I am still taken aback by the number of people who still believe he should not be allowed to continue the life he lived as a professional football player. Is it not enough to publicly lie and get caught? Is it not enough to humiliate and embarrass yourself, your family, and your friends along the way? Is it not enough to lose millions of dollars and assets as a consequence for bad decisions? Is it not enough to serve 23-months in jail as punishment for being convicted on the charges brought against you?

Now don’t get me wrong, I am definitely not condoning what Michael Vick did because he was wrong on many fronts. However, I do think justice was served, he has done the penalty time issued to him, and he should be granted another opportunity to get his life back. The court of public opinion enjoys continual judgment, even when the ‘penalty’ has been paid. This story is no different than many of our own lives. We have all made decisions in the past that have caused us to be punished, but there are still folks out there who won’t let our past decisions/mistakes go.

As I continue to reflect on the Michael Vick story, I’m excited to know that God is not like man because He doesn’t hold things over our heads. God is just in punishing us as His children for some of the bad decisions we make, but offers us the opportunity to repent of our sins and re-align ourselves with Him. Our fellowship with God may be temporarily severed, but our relationship with Him remains in tact. Who is man to say that the penalty wasn’t stiff enough? Who is man to say that once the penalty has been served, you must remain in bondage forever? Who is man to say anything when we all have done our share of things to be ashamed of? Matthew 7:1-5 says, “1 “Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.”

Notice I titled this entry God of ‘Another Opportunity’! Most people get caught-up in talking about second chances, but truth be told, we all used up our second chances many years ago. God allows His children to make mistakes, but doesn’t permanently disown us from His will. We call this a true RELATIONSHIP! I thank God for the fact that He didn’t disown me while I was out clubbin’ and doing things that didn’t glorify Him. Thanks God for another opportunity! I thank God for not allowing me to get someone pregnant during my time of sowing my ‘royal oats’ as a bachelor. Thanks God for another opportunity! I thank God that when people around me try to bring up old stuff, I can count on You to keep me focused on the future and not dwell on the past. Thanks for another opportunity! I thank God He allowed me to repent for the decisions of my past life and offered me a clean slate for my future. Thanks God for another opportunity! I am not the only who should be thankful, enter your reason to thank God right here ____________________________________________!!!

Brought to you by Chat Kafe, http://chatkafe.blogspot.com








Google Groups

Subscribe to Chat Kafe

Email:

Visit this group

2 comments:

Cynt said...

Wow...makes one realize how forgiving God truly is.
Those thanks are "rolling" through my mind and praise is in my heart for "Another Opportunity".

Keonda aka 513 said...

When I start to think about how many opportunities God has afforded me…My soul just starts to leap and rejoice! God is so faithful, so patient, so loving, so forgiving, and so compassionate. Even writing this, my eyes are starting to fill with tears as I think about how gracious God has been to me! When I think about the things he has blessed me with that I didn’t deserve, I can’t help but praise him! When I think about how loving and kind he has been to me, I can’t help but worship him! I thank God for loving me in spite of me. Every morning I wake up I say, “Thank you God for another opportunity to get it right!” :o) LOL
God has been so faithful in the mist of my unfaithfulness to him. 2 Timothy 2:13 (Amplified Bible) says, “If we are faithless [do not believe and are untrue to Him], He remains true (faithful to His Word and His righteous character), for He cannot deny Himself.” It’s a wonderful thing to know that when I find myself out of his will, if I just get back in line with His Word which he is faithful to, then I’ll be ok.
Another wonderful thing I love about God is that he wants what is best for me, according to his will for my life. His many opportunities are another way for Him to get me back on track with His Will. When I mess up, he doesn’t want me to remain in sin, guilt, and shame. He wants me to be like him and have the characteristics of Christ. If I make myself available to him to and have a sincere desire to be more like him, he’ll give me the tools I need.

Stay Blessed!
~Kee