CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Change the Marriage Trend


Recently I had the opportunity to speak with my parents who recently celebrated their 39th wedding anniversary. As I sat and listened to them speak about the longevity of their marriage, one thing that became clear was the fact that there is no way of escaping hard work in marriage. As I listened, I realized that no matter how much I speak about keys to relationships, preparing for relationships and understanding key indicators in relationships; nothing truly substitutes for experience and hard work.

As a youngster, I remember seeing my parents argue and engage in intense debates because of differing opinions. However, they were always able to reconcile and reach a basis of understanding even if it meant agreeing to disagree. My parents’ marriage was far from perfect, and through it all they both had spiritually grounded accountability partners that could help them navigate through times when they didn’t want to be bothered with one another. As I listened and reflected, it became very apparent that throughout the duration of marriage, divorce was never an option. Even if they thought about it, it was quickly dismissed and the process of reconciliation became the primary focus.

Having seen this parent model growing up, and seeing both sets of my grandparents remain married through the tests of time, I wondered if there may be a fear of marriage failure embedded deep within me. We do live in a society that offers $300 divorces in case things don’t work out. We live in a society where the generation of broken homes is now the norm for those within the 25-45 age group. The death ‘til you part generation is quickly fading off and we are in dire need of people to take the challenge. We need to redirect our views of marriage and the impact healthy marriages have on our communities. Are you up for it? I am!

Begin viewing all of your future relationships through the lens of lifetime commitment. As your relationships become more serious, begin probing your significant other’s thoughts on marriage and whether they see it as a lifelong commitment. Let’s begin taking steps to change the disturbing trend that has now infected our society. Strong relationships lead to strong marriages. Strong marriages lead to strong families. Strong families lead to strong communities. Our households will benefit. Our communities will improve. Our lives will be blessed and God will be glorified!

Brought to you by Chat Kafe, http://chatkafe.blogspot.com








Google Groups

Subscribe to Chat Kafe

Email:

Visit this group

No comments: