CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Are You The One???

One of the most popular debates in the area of African-American singles is the perceived numerical imbalance between available men and women. Before I continue forward let me first put out this disclaimer. NOT EVERYONE WILL HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO EXPERIENCE MARRIAGE!!! You have to first resolve in your spirit that you are okay in your season of singleness and that you are content with the state God has placed you in. Once you accept whatever God’s Will is for your life, you are then eligible for the blessings that He wants to bestow upon you…which may include marriage :).

Now that I have gotten that out of the way let’s continue. In Atlanta, the women to men ratio ranges anywhere from 8:1 to 15:1, depending on the information source. On the surface the numbers look very lopsided and depressing, but I’d like to offer up another perspective…ARE YOU THE ONE??? It is very daunting for African-American sisters to agonize over the thought of having to compete with 7 to 14 other women for the shot at relationship with one man. Over the years I have entertained many discussions about this topic, but would like you to ponder the question ARE YOU THE ONE? As a male entrenched in the process of identifying and sorting through the many options that are available for black men, I have noticed that quantity of women is NO correlation to the quality of available women. In evaluating the lopsided ratio of women to men, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that most women are unqualified candidates for long-term relationships. I know…men have issues too (I will deal with that in another post), but our issues can most of the time be isolated to fear of commitment or lack of desire to excel in life. For the sake of conversation let’s say the ratio of women to men is ~10 to 1. Let’s look at the typical categories that most of those 10 women fall into:

1. Low self-esteem – Men can sense when a woman is a member of the low self-esteem club. Wholeheartedly, quality men are NOT drawn to women with self-esteem issues because they are often considered liabilities in the big picture called life and relationship. Insecure and abusive ARE drawn to women with self-esteem issues because they are in search of someone they can control. Quality men like to know that they are yoked-up with a woman who is able to stand firm on her own and not demand/require constant affirmation. Now don’t get me wrong…a good man will provide words of encouragement into his woman and does not mind speaking life into her aspirations and goals. However, men would also like to know that they are in a partnership and not feel like they have a father-daughter component in their relationship. Women with low self esteem can be spotted typically as someone not having a strong male figure in their lives growing up (this is not absolute), someone who has been taken advantage of by loved ones and/or someone whose family structure never allowed them to feel valued. Women with self-esteem challenges should first get rooted in God’s Word so they are able to understand who they are in the eyes of God before seeking connection with a man.

2. Bag Lady – Unfortunately, men are not always accepting of women who bring children into the equation of relationships. Several of my closest friends have decided that they do not want have to deal with the inherited ‘baby’s daddy’ in developing a long-term relationship with a woman. They want to be able to share the life event experience of having a child together for the first time and not feel as if its ‘old hat’ for the person they are with. On the flip side, there are many men (myself included) who do not have a problem developing a relationship with a woman who has children. The second bag lady group is comprised of women who seem as if they transition from one relationship to the next without disconnecting or purging themselves of ‘hazardous stuff’ (including trust issues, preconceived notions and old memories) detrimental to future relationships. As the ‘internal time clock’ begins to tick in the lives of some of our African American women, we sometimes notice a haphazard transition from one relationship to another in search of Mr. Right. The danger of doing so leads to many negative articles of ‘luggage’ being transferred from one relationship to the next with no possibility of success. Bag ladies need to embrace their season of singleness and allow God to purge the unhealthy thoughts, experiences and expectations from their lives.

3. Ms. Too Independent – You know Ms. Too Independent…she is college educated, volunteers in the community, earns a good living and is a faithful servant in the church. All of these things make up the beautiful resume shell that most men would kill for right??? Hold on…the aforementioned qualities ARE awesome and most men desire these in a mate. However, let’s insert the qualities that do not show up on the resume of that quality woman submitted for review by a potential mate: a) She is one with the inability to compromise on issues, b) she is one who lacks the helpmeet skills to make a man feel valued, c) she is the one who cannot cook or clean and demands to eat out all of the time and d) she is one who cannot properly channel the authoritative drive it takes to be successful in Corporate America. Just because you are an attorney, doctor, IT manager or marketing director does not mean you can carry the authoritative demands into the household. These are the negative qualities of black women that usually drive good black men away. Unfortunately, Ms. Too Independent makes up the bulk of seemingly qualified candidates who have it going on according to the expectations set forth by society. However, these women are considered false realities in the intimate circles of black men discussions. Ephesians 5:22 is a good verse to meditate on in preparation for a God-ordained relationship.

4. The One – This is the woman who carries the same characteristics that Ms. Too Independent possesses, but she is not overly flamboyant or loud about her personal resume or successes. She operates powerfully, but with a silent aura of confidence that gives no other choice but for a man to respect her. She is willing to go to bat for her man and shows desire to make a harmonious partner in the household. She exudes the Proverbs 31 woman and understands that progression towards becoming the woman God has called her to be is a continual process. She is able to get her man to open up, she offers a shoulder for him to cry on and does not act as if she ‘knows it all’. Men typically retract themselves into a shell if they feel their relationship partner lacks the listening skills that black men so desperately cry out for in relationships.

Parting Thought - Don’t concern yourself with ratios that will surely depress you. Fortunately, our God does not work in the form of ratios or according to earthly odds. Continue developing yourself, building and allowing God to shape you so that you are the one!!!

11 comments:

PeachyDreaming said...

I wholeheartedly agree with your message and I am eagerly awaiting your post on male issues. I'm sure that it will be as eye opening as this post. Your dissection of the "available" women and their problems was written very well.

luvlafin said...

I agree with your comments. It takes all kinds to make the world go round, and people are the way they are because of their individual past experiences. Keep in mind the ratio -- men move on to other women within their ratio realm and have options, while women can be bitter after a break-up because their pool of fish is so much smaller. Personally, I don't even think about relationships anymore... I have learned the value of being content... just where I am. What God has for me is just for me so there is no sense in stressing over it. There's plenty for me to do in the meantime. And if I never get married, so be it. I can say that I have experienced love in my life.

First Lady said...

Wow! This was an awesome post. I totally agree with all that you have said. I have thankfully never fallen into the category of women concerned with numbers. I've always believed that my husband is MY husband and it doesn't matter how many women are available...I'm HIS only wife. With that said, one of the questions I struggle with as a Christian is watching some of my friends who are unsaved, quite promiscuous, and doing nothing to glorify God seemingly end up with really good men. I don't get that. I'm aware that things aren't always as they seem, but I do struggle with that. Any thoughts?

Tasha said...

Amen…excellent intro. Too many of us Christians are searching for husband/wife instead of searching for the will of God for our lives. Seek ye the kingdom first!
The categorical breakdown was on point as well, especially “Ms. Too Independent.” Ladies once we understand our biblical call to wifehood the transition is not that complex. I’ll take a frying pan over a power suit any day!!!!

Anonymous said...

This was a truly awesome post! KP I've heard you say before that God doesn't work in statistics and it is a very freeing thought. There are no numbers that will impact how God wants to bless me or when He chooses to do so. Thank you for the words of encouragement and wisdom. To respond to First Lady, I too have struggled with watching unsaved friends and acquaintances find seemingly good men and marry and raise families and it does cause one to stop and say "wait, what am I doing wrong?" We can't judge our circumstances by anyone else's "blessings." We don't know what they had to go through to get that or if we'd be willing to do the same things. Further we must stop and realize that the way God chooses to bless us or in our eyes "not" bless us doesn't change His love for us.

Unknown said...

This is a very accurate commentary on mate availability. I agree that you have in fact captured the major categories. However, I think you are forgetting the category of women that have been scorned by relationships. These women have become far too intolerant of human behavior and the simple differences in people and therefore quickly abandon perfectly compatible relationships in a non-ending quest for perfection. Their singleness (or self) becomes their most compatible mate and leaves them no room for developing the very sought after long-term relationship with a man.

Anonymous said...

The most important part of this post KP is this fact;
Some people simply are NOT marriage material.


Let us all understand and accept that everyone is not designed to be married.

The sooner people realize that it is OK to be "solo" and that you can still have an awesome life living as an individual, the lower the divorce rate will be and we will have less children growing up in broken homes.


Society, peer pressure, "biological clocks" should not dictate what is appropriate for our interpersonal lives and relationships.


There are people that are harmful, no matter who they are paired up with. In these cases, individuals need to live the best single life possible.

Until those obstacles that prevent a person from being a suitable mate have been identified and overcome **seek God**, should an attempt be made to enter a sacred union with anyone.

These people usually leave a string of broken relationships, failed marriages and multiple children in the lurch, among other things.


Live your best life.

Nice Work KP - Thanks for keeping us enlightened. You are definitely one of the best brothers out here.
I am proud to know you.

Anonymous said...

Minister Pugh,
I have thought hard about what and how I wanted to reply to this post and I will agree that you make some valid points. However, I must be honest that I do not 100% agree with everthing you have written. Your post is very familiar to me as I have read some similiar writings about these categories. However, a couple of these categories I believe are symptoms to a much larger problem and are not necessarily a category to place women. It is not so much what type of woman she is but why she is who she has become? It is my thought we place labels on individuals without exploring or examining the what fors and whys. As Christians we are not necessarily asking the right questions to get to the root of the problem. Instead we are to busy attaching labels to an individual and not being accountable to that believer and getting to the source of the problem. It is my theory that these categories you list are symptoms to larger issues that are often times universal and plague both men and women. (Different topic another time)

I will try to no to take up to much of your time and and space but I will say that the category that gives me the most trouble is the low self esteem woman. I agree that men can sense when a woman has low self esteem. I also agree to some extent that quality men are not drawn to the woman with self esteem issues. In fact I agree with pretty much all of what you said but sometimes in a body of believers there is a another problem to consider. The problem is often times the same men that desire a woman as you stated, "who are able to stand firm on her own and not demand/require constant affirmation," are the same men contributing in some ways to this self estemm issue. I understand some men may not even realize or agree that they are bringing this to the table but from my perspective it is something to consider. Through research and observation I have found that quality men can and do things that are detrimental to a woman's self esteem. For instance, I have been in numerous conversations with men and women alike and have observed that these men even though trying to actively conversate are not focused on what this woman has to say nor paying attention to her mouth but instead his eyes and thoughts are obviously on the visual aspects of this female. My question is, how is this affirming a female and what value she has to offer to a conversation? Don't get me wrong I am well aware that men are visual people but my thought is, though that is factual it is offered as an excuse (if you will) but no thought is given to what non-verbal communication ques are being relayed and if this is being internalized by this woman. I also agree that knowing who and what you are in Christ allows the internalizing process to be a much difficult one but self esteem issues are a daily challenge faced by both saved and unsaved women. Even though I have much more to offer on this subject I will move forward with my thoughts and comments.

Your bag lady...I personally did not realize the magnitude of children and what they bring to the equation until you mentioned this concern but I am definately pondering that thought...Hmmm

Ahh your independent woman, I myself have fallen into this category (if you will) at somepoint in my life for one reason or another. What I have observed from talking with these women and actively being a member at one time is that sometimes men expect overnight success in this area. If a woman has been single and comfortable in her singleness for some time, when a quality man comes into her life giving away some of the reigns is not an easy task. I will quite simply state, it is a work in progress! While this man is of good quality, the responsibility to myself is to make sure that his words, actions and center in Christ are of one accord. So before handing over the reigns to be led in a different direction, this woman needs to trust he is capable of handling the responsibility he has been given. We are creatures of habit. Time was required to develop this destructive behavior, therefore time is required to break down this behavior. Having displayed these characteristics myself, I was blessed enough to have someone in my life that was grounded in Christ constantly holding me accountable for my behavior and giving me direction to seek God's Word.

It was a pleasure reading what you had to say on the subject and I definately plan on tuning in to future blogs to see what you have to say about the men. I am sure I will have a comment. LOL

Anonymous said...

Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen Kenny I can only say one thing after that and it is really "THE ONE" TRully shall b the women Im seeking and with God help I will b the the Man the Lord chooses me to b which I am working on day and night. Have a bless 1 Peace Khalid

Tiff said...

I'm feeling you on this Kenny. I have found in my experience, maybe because I'm damaged and afraid of being broken again, but I have found that it's hard for "the one" to find "the other one."
So I just stopping looking and I believe in the process took myself off radar. I know that it's not my job to go and look for him but he can be sitting in the pew in front of me and I wouldn't know it.
How do I take the blinders off?

Kenny Pugh (aka KP) said...

Hey Tiffany,

Don't concern yourself too much with the big picture. God is in the control tower of your life. Remain focused on being 'The One' and 'The One' who is for you will present himself at the right time. We all have aspects of our live that we can improve in, so focus on those areas in the meantime. It's okay to have blinders on while you focus on becoming the best person you can be. If you are unsure of the areas to assess in your life, then consider the following: 1)Your spiritual life, 2) Your physical health, 3) Your financial health and 4) Your professional life. There are usually opportunities for improvement in one of the aforementioned areas. When you are ready to explore relationships again through a softening of your heart, then you'll begin to notice a change in your social environment. Focus on you and Mr. Right will appear at the appropriate time.