CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 11, 2010

Decisions of a Disciple


This past weekend was the first time in quite a while that I had an urge to actually go out to a club and have fun. It was Saturday night and I had been trapped in the house all day on Friday and most of Saturday due to the snow and ice Atlanta experienced throughout the week. I was scheduled to go hang out with some of my friends on Friday night to celebrate a birthday, but couldn’t get out of my immediate area due to ice on the streets.

However, Saturday night I had the urge to go out, like really, really, really go out and party. I wanted let my hair down and have some good old fun like most people in our society do. I’m not sure if it was a lapse in my spiritual armor, but the urge definitely caught my attention. It then came to my attention that no matter what ‘it’ was, I was not going to be able to participate. You see…once I accepted my call into ministry I forfeited the opportunity to do as the majority do. As a minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, I have to provide an example that promotes the lifestyle of His Word no matter what I ‘want’ or ‘feel’ like doing. I do sometimes miss the option of partying at the local club to release the stress of my week. However, I know that my influence has the ability to cause someone to stumble if I’m not careful in the decisions I make personally.

I have an issue with preachers who ‘publicly’ flaunt around with a Heineken or Hennessy in their hands on Saturday night but then turn around and preach the Gospel on Sunday mornings. Notice I said walk around drinking publicly. If he/she desires to have a drink within the confines of their home or among other strong believers, then he/she should be able to do so. As a minister and Christian, we have to make decisions that won’t cause those around us to stumble.

Unfortunately, I am often ostracized from friend invites and sometimes shunned by those in the church because of the lifestyle I’ve chosen to live. It hurts to know that people may avoid being a part of the ministry I lead because I won’t support certain beliefs and/or behavior (clubbin’, sexin’, drinkin’ in excess, etc.). My beliefs have led me to be sometime labeled as a loner, boring and even funnier…GAY…LOL. I am in no way condemning the lifestyle choices of others because this entry is neither targeting homosexuality nor taking the role of judge. The reality is that I enjoy having fun like the next man. I enjoy beautiful women like the next man. I have sexual urges (toward women) just like the next man. I have just made a conscious decision to take road that will lead to a better destination.

I remember reading that making a decision to live for Christ will cause others, even those considered close to you, to resent/persecute you. As a result, I’m cool with being somewhat rejected because it lets me know that I’m walking in the same footsteps as Christ. What about you? se lah

Brought to you by Kenny Pugh, http://chatkafe.blogspot.com and Chat Kafe, http://www.chatkafeonline.com.

1 comment:

peculiar VIrtue said...

Brother, thanks for keeping it REAL. Even though everyone has their areas of temptation/weakness, I seriously wonder about those who profess Christ while openly living in opposition to all of His principles. How did it become even slightly OK for believers to excuse Saturday night escapades just by showing up for Sunday morning services?!?